Each and everyday that the sun is shining and I don't have to pull out my winter coat, hat and mitts I am so grateful! I have to admit there have been some days that a winter coat has definitely been needed but I absolutely refuse to wear it anymore!! How about you?
With Spring here and Summer right around the corner I thought I would share some ideas to maintain and boost your energy to enjoy these longer spring days!!
Tips of How to Eat To Maintain and Boost Your Energy:
- Stay Hydrated!! This is SO Important and I think we can all use a constant reminder of this! We are made up of 70% water and we use water in all of our bodily functions so you should drink 1.5-2 liters per day and more when exercising to maintain and boost your energy
- Have protein and fibre with each meal and snack (veggies with hummus or tahini, yogurt with trail mix and fruit, kale chips with cashew cream)
- Avoid Processed and Refined Sugars and Flours: WHITE bread, rice, and pasta, refined cereals, crackers, chips, waffles, pancakes, muffins, cakes, etc.
- Avoid sugar: processed and refined white sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup, pasteurized honey, jam, chocolate, pre packaged treats, gummies, candies, etc.
- Choose natural sweeteners such as raw, unpasteurized honey or pure maple syrup
- Eat Smaller Meals More often
- Good quality proteins: quinoa, nuts and seeds, beans, legumes, lean meats, wild cold water fish
- Foods high in fibre: vegetables and fruit (leave the skin on them), whole grains, nuts, seeds, leafy greens
- Avoid stimulants: These cause ups and downs in your system, highs and lows in blood sugars and hard on your Adrenals! Stimulants: caffeine, sugar, nicotine, energy drinks, etc.
Water: fresh, pure, filtered water makes it possible for your system to digest, absorb, cleanse, and transport nutrients and without water, our bodies cannot generate energy. Fatigue is a symptom of dehydration.. so drink more water!!
Fresh Juices: This is an excellent way of getting FRESH, LIVE enzymes directly into your blood stream in a highly absorbable way! Adding fresh juices to your daily routine is an excellent way to add many nutrients and getting lots of vegetables and fruit into one glass. Try using more vegetables than fruit and having mostly Green Juices to boost your energy.
Fresh Smoothies: By blending ingredients together it is a perfect way to get lots of nutritious ingredients into one meal. Making sure to include healthy fats, fibre, and good quality protein will ensure to boost your energy and keep you satisfied. This is an excellent way to add superfoods and specific healthy foods for your individual needs and goals.
Leafy Greens: These are so chlorophyll rich it is like eating sunshine! There’s nothing quite like eating sunshine to boost your energy!! ;-) Chlorophyll is like blood to plants and reacts with sun to create glucose which is fuel for us and our bodie's preferred energy source.
Avocados: contain healthy fats and fibre to slow down blood sugar when added to a meal.. not to mention how incredibly delicious they taste so thats gotta be worth some energy there all on it's own!!
Cinnamon: Rich source of Magnesium and helps in controlling blood sugar
Learn more about boosting your energy by joining us at our upcoming Smoothies and Juicing Workshop on April 22rd http://www.freshsenses.ca/upcoming-classes.html and also there's a NEW Healthy Thai Cooking Class that only has a couple of spots left!
We are also so excited to announce that we will soon be selling small appliances such as juicers, blenders, Sprouters, Superfoods, and all of our favourite healthy living products on our website! We currently have a whole product list full of healthy kitchen gadgets and out favourite health products, email us for the list of products and prices!
What foods do you eat when you feel most energized? Is it a lasting energy or does it result in a crash afterwards? We would love to hear from you and what your favourite Energy Boosting Foods are!!