Smoothies are made in a blender and are made with fresh fruit and/or leafy greens and vegetables. This is an excellent way to add lots of nutrients, superfoods, and fibre into one drink. Smoothies tend to be thick in consistency and are usually cold from adding frozen fruit and ice.
WHAT IS A JUICE?
Fresh Juice is made from the liquid of fruit and vegetables. This is made using a Juicer which extracts the water, natural sugar, vitamins, minerals, live enzymes, and phytonutrients all into one glass.
Juices and Smoothies each have their own benefits and purpose. I like to include both for that reason. If you are new to both smoothies and juicing I would recommend starting with smoothies because most people are more likely to already own a blender rather than a juicer.
BENEFITS OF SMOOTHIES:
- Easy to Digest: Since a lot of the work has already been done for us in the blender it is a great Go-To snack or meal since its much easier to drink than chewing all of the fruit and veggies you add in!
- Fast and Convenient!! All you have to do is add all of the ingredients into the blender, blend away and pour into your favourite travel cup!
- Great Way of Adding Raw Foods and Getting Your Fruit and Veggies In.
- Fibre: Since it is blended you are getting lots of added fibre from the Fruit and Veggies.
BENEFITS OF JUICING:
- A great way to get lots of nutrition from fruit and veggies into one glass.
- Liver Supporting: it helps flush out toxins and restore nutrients.
- Liquid Love to your Cells: Think of it like "bathing" your cells.
- ENERGY: You will feel so energized and refreshed!
- When you see how many vegetables it takes to make a glass of juice its amazing.. you get all of the nutrients without stuffing yourself and in an easy to digest form.
WHAT DO I ADD TO MY SMOOTHES?
This is a personal preference, starting out I would add more fruit and gradually add greens. As you get into your smoothie routine you will find you are able to add more greens. I like to add a good mixture of these:
- Frozen Fruit (when organic produce is in season its a great time to load up, peel, cut, and freeze) or Local/ Seasonal Fruit
- Handful or Two of Greens (spinach, kale, sprouts, romaine lettuce, etc)
- Healthy Fats
- Good Quality Protein Powder: I prefer a Brown Rice Protein Mix rather than a Whey protein
- Dairy Alternatives
- A good rule of thumb is a 3:1 ratio: three vegetables to one piece of fruit
- LOTS OF GREENS! (spinach, romaine, kale, collards, etc)
- Use fruit and high sugar content veggies sparingly (beets, carrots, apples, etc)
- Cucumbers provide lots of juice and have a sweet, fresh taste, these are great for starting out, they are also a natural diuretic to help flush the body
- Be CREATIVE: Green Juices are going to have the most alkalizing effect so use those as a base and keep trying new things!
This is a great introduction to smoothies and juices! I have to admit, since purchasing the Vitamix I have been making lots of my juices using it, rather than my Juicer since it blends it so well and is so quick and easy to make. I also like the fact that there is no waste (the pulp left over from juicing) by using the Vitamix for juice and the pulp also contains lots of fibre. Whatever way you choose to add in some healthy nutrients whether it be a smoothie, juice, or blended juice, they are all great and your body will thank you for it!
I offer a Juicing and Smoothies workshop or a one-on-one demo that goes into great detail of the benefits of specific fruit and vegetables, hands on demos and tastings of a variety of smoothies and juices, equipment for smoothies and juices and what would be best for your lifestyle and budget, Amazing Superfoods to use in your smoothies, and the benefits of cleansing and fasting.
I hope you enjoyed this 8 week Challenge and learned some new tips to implement into your daily routine! If you are interested in making some healthy diet and lifestyle changes but are feeling stuck and have no idea where to start, knowing what supplements would be best for you and your needs, or have any questions, give us a call or email to enjoy a complimentary consultation!
What are your favourite ingredients to add to your juices and/or smoothies? Please leave us a comment!