Increasing your Water and Fibre go hand in hand in promoting regular and effective Elimination. Why is this so important? All of our toxins, build up, and waste is collected and the faster we get these out of our bodies, the less time they have to collect in the body and create problems in our systems. Constipation is very common and many symptoms and side effects can be caused by this. Acne, Skin Issues and Rashes, Headaches, stomach pains, and irritability are some symptoms just to name a few.
A diet too low in fibre, insufficient in the good "healthy" bacteria, and too high in processed foods is the major cause of colon problems.
So What do we need to do to promote healthy bowel movements?
- DRINK LOTS OF WATER THROUGHOUT THE DAY! Going back to Challenge #1, I can't emphasize enough the importance of this!!!
- MAINTAIN A BALANCE OF SOLUBLE AND INSOLUBLE FIBRE (30-40 grams per day) Soluble: gluey or gummy when added to water- such as flax seeds, chia seeds, and oatmeal Insoluble: vegetables: dark leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc)
- INCREASING FOODS THAT ARE HIGH IN PROBIOTICS: Probiotics are foods and supplements containing the beneficial bacterial cultures that help the body's naturally occurring intestinal flora re-establish themselves. Probiotics can be found in fermented foods such as Miso paste, Kimchi, Tamari, Sauerkraut, Kefir, Kombucha, and Pickled Vegetables. Probiotics improve digestion, enhance mineral absorption, reduce cholesterol, help the liver complete detoxification, and strengthen the immune system. Check out my good friend's Alchemy Pickle Company for where you can get some Amazing fermented foods and beverages all locally here in the City!!
- CHOOSING HEALTHY FATS TO PROVIDE LUBRICATION: Increase your healthy fats with Essential Fatty Acids known as EFA's. EFA's can be found in cold water fish oil, flax seeds and oil, chia seeds and oil, salmon, halibut, avocado oil, fresh raw walnuts, sunflower seeds, and pecans.
- LOWER THE AMOUNT OF REFINED STARCHES, SUGAR, AND PROCESSED FOODS IN YOUR DIET AND INCREASE WHOLE, REAL FOODS IN THEIR NATURAL FORM: Ok, so I know this is a BIG one.. but its all about baby steps.. if you eat white bread right now make a switch to Whole Grain, If you LOVE sugar and sweets start switching to real fruit and natural sweeteners like Honey and Coconut Syrup. Remember.. baby steps.. each step that you make toward healthier choices all make a HUGE difference in the end! When I talk about whole foods I mean Beans, Legumes, Veggies, Fruit, and Grains that don't come out of a box or take less than 3 minutes to make!
- INCREASE YOUR FRUIT AND VEGGIES!!! I know you've heard this since childhood, but your mother was right!! So many benefits come from eating real fruit and vegetables.. and they are so rich in fibre!! Try one new veggie each week and keep it exciting!
- EXERCISE: At least 3-4x per week, and everyday if you can ( 30 minutes each day).
- MAKE TIME TO GO TO THE WASHROOM!: Like everything else in our lives sometimes we just rush too much! Relax and Make time!
Hopefully you have learned a couple of tips and know which ones could benefit your daily routine right away! This Challenge is so important to me and is on the top of my list next to water because I think it is something everyone could use a little help with. A lot of people rely on caffeine for their daily bowel movement. Would they still go minus the caffeine? I think about it like the green bin. We throw out all of our waste in the green bin that has no use to us.. such as damaged, rotting and bruised produce where it sits and continues to rot and putrefy. Now think about waste and toxins that are being stuck in our systems.. nothing good is happening from that.. RIGHT?!!
Please join in on the comments on the Fresh Senses Facebook Page and Let Us know how you're finding these challenges! We would LOVE to hear from you! Good Luck with Challenge #2!!